Here's an example of how Marketing strategies and advertising slogans can easily go astray:|
- Coors put its slogan, "Turn it loose," into Spanish, where it was read as "Suffer from diarrhea".
- Scandinavian vacuum manufacturer Electrolux used the following in an American campaign: Nothing sucks like an Electrolux.
- Clairol introduced the "Mist Stick", a curling iron, into German only to find out that "mist" is slang for manure. Not too many people had use for the "manure stick".
- When Gerber started selling baby food in Africa, they used the same packaging as in the US, with the beautiful Caucasian baby on the label. Later they learned that in Africa, companies routinely put pictures on the label of what's inside, since most people can't read.
- Colgate introduced a toothpaste in France called Cue, the name of a notorious porno magazine (it's also a nasty word in french).
- An American T-shirt maker in Miami printed shirts for the Spanish market which promoted the Pope's visit. Instead of "I saw the Pope" (el Papa), the shirts read "I saw the potato" (la papa).
- Pepsi's "Come alive with the Pepsi Generation" translated into "Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the grave", in Chinese.
- Frank Perdue's chicken slogan, "it takes a strong man to make a tender chicken" was translated into Spanish as "it takes an aroused man to make a chicken affectionate".
- The Coca-Cola name in China was first read as "Ke-kou-ke-la", meaning "Bite the wax tadpole" or "female horse stuffed with wax", depending on the dialect. Coke then researched 40,000 characters to find a phonetic equivalent "ko-kou-ko-le", translating into "happiness in the mouth".
- When Parker Pen marketed a ball-point pen in Mexico, its ads were supposed to have read, "it won't leak in your pocket and embarrass you". Instead, the company thought that the word "embarazar" (to impregnate) meant to embarrass, so the ad read: "It won't leak in your pocket and make you pregnant".
The plane was circling the airport, which was fogged in. They didn't have enough fuel to make it to the next closest airport. After the Captain made the announcement and asked for calm, a lady said, "Somebody do something religious !"
A Baptist cleric took up a collection and a Priest organized a bingo game.
A sick Joke
A man is waiting for wife to give birth. The doctor comes in and informs the dad that his son was born without torso, arms or legs. The son is just a head! But the dad loves his son and raises him as well as he can, with love and compassion.
After 21 years, the son is old enough for his first drink. Dad takes him to the bar and tearfully tells the son he is proud of him. Dad orders up the biggest, strongest drink for his boy. With all the bar patrons looking on curiously and the bartender shaking his head in disbelief, the boy takes his first sip of alcohol. Swoooop! A torso pops out!
The bar is dead silent; then bursts into a whoop of joy. The father, shocked, begs his son to drink again. The patrons chant "take another drink"! Swoooop! Two arms pops out. The bar goes wild. The father, crying and wailing, begs his son to drink again. The patrons chant "take another drink"!
By now the boy is getting tipsy, and with his new hands he reaches down, grabs his drink and guzzles the last of it. Swoooop! Two legs pop out. The bar is in chaos. The father thanks God. The boy stands up on his new legs and stumbles to the left... then to the right... right through the front door, into the street, where a truck runs into him and kills him. The
bar falls silent. The father moans in grief.
And the moral of the story, of course, is: Quit while you're a head.
Without a man
How do you find out what life is like without a man around?
They say it's bad luck for the Groom to see the Bride before the ceremony. What they don't tell ya, is that it's also bad luck to see her anytime within the next 30 years too.
For so many years, Mrs Larsson always exchanged the gifts I would buy for her. For her birthday one year, I decided to just give her a hundred dollar bill. Guess what?
She exchanged it !
How to make
They say you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Well, maybe... but lots of women can get a mink out of an old goat.