Risto & Raija visiting Broughton Castle, Oxfordshire, on May 6, 2000


Broughton Castle, Banbury, Oxfordshire, for over 600 years the home of the family
Fiennes - Lord and Lady Saye and Sele; the original Manor House was built
in about 1300 and the present Castle in the second part of the 16th century:
location for a part of the movie 'Shakespeare In Love'.


Broughton Castle: the Gatehouse, probably built by William of Wykeham at the end of 14th century.
The oak gates have the date 1617 inscribed upon them.

Broughton Castle, Oxfordshire, the home of the Family Fiennes

Broughton Castle, the front entrance

The Great Hall, incorporating the original medieval hall of 1300.
The red plush covers on the sofas were made in the neighbouring village of Shutford a century ago.

The Great Hall, the pendant ceiling from the 1760s.

The Great Hall, the leather buckets in the window recesses are 18th century fire buckets.

The King's Bedroom, the remarkable chimneypiece dates from
the renovation of 1554, the lower half being of stone while the overmantle is of stucco.
This chimneypiece is French, and similar to work in the Galerie François I at Fontainebleu

The Gallery, remodelled in the 1760s and redecorated in 1970. Family portraits.

The Great Parlour at the western end of the Gallery is remarkable for the elaborate plaster ceiling.

The Great Parlour's wallpaper imitates stamped,
gilded and silvered leather and is probably from the early 1850s.

The Oak Room, the ground floor room of the Tudor west wing.
An unusual feature of the room is the splendid interior porch with its delicate carving and tall cartouche.

The Oak Room was originally used as the dining room, being adjacent to the sixteenth century kitchens.

The Oak Room, the painting over the chimneypiece is a seascape by Johannes Peeters
of the coast of Holland at Scheveningen, from which Charles II set sail to return to England in 1660.

The Garden, known as the Ladies' Garden, established in the 1880s on the site of the 16th century kitchens.

The Gatehouse seen from the Castle looking towards the Gatehouse
and the Parish Church of St. Mary from the fourteenth century.

The Churchyard


Back to British Castles, Stately Homes and Houses

Link to Broughton Castle's own website

All the photos taken and copyright by Risto Hurmalainen,
the site updated December 30, 2001