Here are suggestions for some ingredients to be used in making pasta salads.
- macaroni, penne, fusilli, farfalle, orecchiette, cotelli, garganelli, ruote, etc
for sauce and seasoning:
- meat: cooked chicken, crisp bacon, diced ham, baked, hot or cold smoked or canned salmon or tuna, etc
- vegetables: lettuce, cucumber, tomato, sun-dried tomato, bell pepper, radish, olives,
green peas, beans, celery, green onion, scallion, chives, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, champignons, etc
- fruit: apple, avocado, pineapple, pear, peach, grapes, kiwi fruit, etc
- toasted pecans, hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds, pine nuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, etc
- hard-boiled eggs
- grated or thinly shaved Parmesan or other diced or grated cheese (eg strong Cheddar, Gouda, Emmental, Finnish
Ritari or Turunmaa, etc)
- oil, vinegar, lemon juice, mayonnaise, crème fraîche, sour cream, chutney, pesto sauce, etc
- salt, sugar, pepper, mustard, mustard powder, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika powder,
celery salt, tarragon, basil, parsley, etc
Cook the pasta until tender, drain and let cool a bit. Mix in the seasoned sauce and any of the additional ingredients you like.
Cover and place in refrigerator for 1 - 2 hours before serving for the pasta to absorb the sauce and the flavours to mix.