Software & Drivers
Click the picture to get enlarged view
FLASH EPROM update
- VERSION 10 for the KN5000 (1,019,820 Bytes)
- VERSION 9 for the KN5000 (1,018,504 Bytes)
Note! use the old instructions for versions 6,9 and 10
remember to use lower case letter for indicating a: drive ! ! !
- VERSION 8 for the KN5000 (1,523,712 Bytes)
- VERSION 7 for the KN5000 (1,523,712 Bytes)
EASY INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE V7 and V8
1. Create a separate DIR on you HDD (PC) called e.g. C:\KN5000UP
2. Save link as C:\KN5000UP\KN5KPV8.EXE
3. Put a formatted diskette (1.44MB HD) to drive A:
4. Change to c:\KN5000UP
5a) in DOS, type:
5b) in Windows from START Menu "RUN" write to the command line box:
After completion you have a disk that you can use to update your Keyboard as follows:
Insert the Disk in KN5000 and press following Buttons while switching on your Keyboard:
Panel memory 1,2,3, and 4
after a while you have the FLASH Updated....
Now switch the keyboard off and on again.
The instructions for versions 9 and 10 below
- VERSION 6 for the KN5000 (1,390,675 Bytes) 1998.03.05
Host Port connection
The Host Port is a method to connect MIDI devices without using MIDI cables and MIDI interface using standard serial port at PC, there are normally two of them with marking COM1 and COM2.
Host Ports are not in older keyboards and new keyboards are using USB (Universal Serial Bus) instead.
Instructions for WinXP Host Port driver done by Roberto Oyanguren
First download the Host Port Driver for WinXP, all available drivers will
work because the Host Port is universal for all kind of Keyboards. The driver for Roland Soundcanvas
will work for Roland and Technics as well. Here is a working WinXP driver
You can order the Host Port Cable from the Technote web,
Good music stores also have Host Port cables for PC
(You can use any for Korg, Roland, Technics, etc. because it is the same for all, note MAC-cable is different)
You can make the cable yourself using the instruction given below, but to get the connectors and to make the cable may not come cheaper.
For KN5000 proceed as follows.
1.- KN5000 switched OFF and the switch in PC2 position. (This is very important).
2.- Connect the Host Port cable to the KN5000 keyboard and then to the computer to COM1 or COM2 socket.
3.- Add the new device with the "Control Panel" utility "Add Hardware". XP is trying to detect a new hardware automatically, probably with no success. The next option asks if the device is connected or not, click "yes"
4.- The window gives you a list of the devices connected. Go to the last row, which tells you "Add a new hardware" and click "Next".
5.- The new window gives you the option to "Select a new hardware from a list MANUALLY". Select it, and click "Next".
6.- The window gives you a list of DEVICES available, select "audio, video and games". click "Next"
7.- The New window, gives you the option to use your diskette or the directory where you have keep the downloaded file. Note that the downloaded file comes zipped, you Need Zip program to unzip the downloaded file. Then select the SETUP file and install it.
If you get a message that alerts you about the Windows XP logo test, donīt worry, go ahead. It will ask you to select which port COM, to assign, choose COM1 or COM2 according your selected connection and Multiple Ports SC88, SC88Pro.
8.- After this, the driver will be installed and asks to restart the computer. Do it.
9.- Switch ON the keyboard and use it with your PC MIDI software.
Giulio Banfi informed that the picture from Herve Forconi has error on cable connector numbering, now corrected Pin Numbering of the MINI DIN 8 Male Connector (Solder side).
Instructions to make an update disk
This instruction is based on the experiences that the Technics 'Power Users' have realized.
NOTE! The examples here are based on version 10 but will apply to other versions by using the current version's filename
The ZIPped file is made by using a DOS util called DOSIMAGE.EXE
How to copy a 100% copy of an original ?
Win95/WinNT4: Using Explorer, click with right mouse button the A:drive figure and select "Copy Disk" from A to A
Separate filecopy will fail !
You can also open the DOS command prompt window and type :
diskcopy a: a:
Can a floppy like the 'strange' UPDATE disk be attached to Email ? : YES use DOSIMAGE.EXE !
How to create an image-file from the Update disk :
1. Create a separate DIR on you HDD (PC) called KN5000UP
2. Put the DOS util DOSIMAGE.EXE in this DIR
3. Insert the original KN5 update disk in drive A:
4. Change to c:\KN5000UP
5. Type in the command : DOSIMAGE SAVE a: Kn5kv10.img
(This command creates an image from the disk in drive A: , the name of the image is Kn5kv10.img)
6. After the imagefile Kn5kv10.img is created on the PC's HDD (DIR C:\KN5000UP) Both files are ZIPped :
The image and the executable DOSIMAGE.
Sending the ZIPped file as an Email attachment the received file with an unzip-action showed ABSOLUTELY no difference after the command :
DOSIMAGE RESTORE Kn5kv10.img a:
Note: Lower case a: (this command creates a 100% copy of the original disk on another (new) disk)
So both disks became exact copies......... yeaah ! (compare PCTOOLS 8.0)
So far all made updates has had no problems at ALL !
Instant instructions to use the downloaded file to update your KN5000:
You must copy the ZIPped file kn5kv10.zip to a harddisk directory like c:\kn5000up because there is not enough space for the two unzipped files on a diskette
1. Unzip the file called KNUPDATE.ZIP with WINZIP
2. The result will be 2 files.
3. One of them is the DOS executable DOSIMAGE.EXE and can be used to create a disk.
4. Insert a new blank disk in drive A:
5. Type in the command : DOSIMAGE RESTORE Kn5kv10.img a:
Note! Lower case a:
6. After DOSIMAGE did his work the result will be a perfect copy of a original update DISK !
When you really want to update your KN5000 :
1. Switch power OFF
2. Insert the 'update-disk' in the KN5000 drive.
3. Press (keep pressing) PM1, PM2, PM3 and PM4 simultaniously while switching power ON.
4. At first the display show 'Please wait !' (you can release the four PM buttons now)
5. Then after a few seconds you'll see that Updating goes automatically.
6. Updating takes a few minutes and at the end you are asked to Reboot. (Power OFF and ON)
It seems several dealers don't like the idea, people update KN's themselves ! (They tell KN-owners, only dealers are capable to do thes things !??) General Music Instruments has a WEB-page where product updates can be downloaded and it is 'normal' customers do updating themselves !! (Take a look at http://generalmusic.com )
In some countries dealers say "A KN5000 is bug-free !" We all know better..... don't we ?
You are all 'free' to use upgraded versions or not, but when you are not 100% of the quality of the disk you created, don't use it. (I don't like to be blamed when something goes wrong. The only responsible person is you... not me !)